When adventure loving mom-to-be Caitlin told me she was planning on decorating her nursery in a gender neutral National Park theme, I immediately jumped at the opportunity of doing a similar themed shower for her. (Because, let's be honest, that's about the cutest theme idea EVER.)
Brimming with vintage props and rustic, Americana details, we brought the outdoors in to transform the church fellowship hall venue. Plaid fabrics, vintage camping accessories, brightly colored bunting in various geometric shapes, fresh cut greenery, and National Park travel postcards set the tone for this adventure-themed shower. A letter board welcomed guests and instructed them to fill out their address on a postcard which would eventually be returned to them as a thank you note.
A secondary table of vintage props played homage to mom, Caitlin, and dad, Ben. Vintage state flash cards were a nod to their home states of Kentucky and Vermont, respectively, as well as their current home state of Georgia, where their new son or daughter will be born. A stack of children's American history pictorial encyclopedias was also a tribute to the parents-to-be's love of U.S. history.
Mom-to-be Caitlin is gluten-free, so we put together a delicious gluten-free menu for her and her guests to enjoy. Light refreshments including veggie cups, a woodland owl-shaped fruit tray, and an adorable hedgehog-shaped cheeseball with nut crackers were served. Desserts for the event included a flourless chocolate torte from a local bakery, homemade gluten-free cupcakes with buttercream icing, fondant succulents and blackberry and mint garnish, no-bake cookies, and adorable Hershey's kiss acorns.
A thoughtful devotional from a member of Caitlin's church was shared followed by a sweet prayer. Afterwards, an absolutely beautiful, surprise letter written by Ben was read aloud to Caitlin with barely a dry eye in the room by the end. While Caitlin began to open gifts, guests continued to mingle at round tables with playful centerpieces of travel postcards, oversized mint confetti, pinecones, and mason jars of fresh ferns, rosemary, and other greenery.
A photo booth backdrop was set up for guests to grab pictures with Caitlin and friends before the shower ended, and a super fun trail mix bar where guests could fill brown paper bags with their favorite nuts, candies, and dried fruit served as the favor. The shower was a wonderful celebration of this radiant mom-to-be and her sweet little one on the way! So excited for you and this next chapter of life, Caitlin!
Vendor List and Links:
- National Park postcards: Anderson Design Group
- "See America: Welcome to Montana" Poster: Creative Action Network
- "See America: Visit Your National Parks" chalkboard sign: Resplendent Living (replicated from print by All Things Grow)
- Various colored bunting: Custom made by Resplendent Living
- Vintage camping lantern: Two Women and a Warehouse
- Vintage camping thermoses: Picker Joe's Antique Mall
- State flash cards: Terra Cotta
- Gluten-free cupcakes and other desserts: Friends of Caitlin
- Flourless chocolate torte: Lulu Cakes by Lulu's Chocolate Bar
- Red plaid fabric, framed bear and bison prints, vintage cameras: Amazing yard sale finds
- "Pictorial Encyclopedia of American History" books: Salvation Army
All photography by Resplendent Living